5 Heritage Building Restoration Challenges
Avoid Heritage Building Restoration Trouble by Hiring Professionals
Heritage restorations are necessary but not easy to perform. While they provide a lot of opportunities for stability, growth, and enhancements, they also present risks associated with construction missteps, modern developments, and bringing your new vision to life. Consider the factors below and contact Zero Defects to tell us more about your heritage building. Learn more about how we can take care of the restorations while mitigating risk and avoiding damage.
Risks of Heritage Building Restoration
Note these 5 common issues with construction on heritage buildings:
- Patching versus Replacing – Identifying the difference between a small cosmetic blemish and a major foundational problem can be difficult for the untrained eye. Work with Heritage Building Restoration experts early and in an ongoing conversation so that necessary work can be completed promptly and proactively to salvage as much of the original fixtures as possible. These fixtures were not designed to stand up against modern tools and chemical construction methods, so be sure to work with a company that can accommodate your structural requirements and is sensitive to different material considerations.
- Irreversible Damage – It is not possible to replace many of the historical features, raw materials, and intricate construction of historical buildings. You don’t get a second chance and you cannot buy another column, sculpture, or original staircase. Your restoration team needs to be well-versed in completing work while protecting existing features and have extensive experience in preservation and heritage-specific restoration.
- Inappropriate Changes or Additions – The architectural style and integrity of your building need to be maintained carefully. New additions can take away from the property value and authenticity of the space. It is tough, or near impossible, to avoid all additions, but the materials need to be selected with a keen eye for detail and understanding of architectural styles. Work with restoration experts that are sensitive to differences and have experience choosing seamless finishes that will complement the property rather than compete, distract, or deter from your heritage building.
- Local Building Codes – Safety is essential, but it is not always straightforward to make an old building fit into the new rules and regulations. You need to complete thorough research and work with a building restoration company that is familiar with Toronto’s specific building codes for commercial, residential, or other property use. You may also need to comply with historical preservation rules, so experience and expertise are crucial to avoid overlooking any of the relevant guidelines.
- Finding a Quality Building Restoration Company – There are few heritage building restoration companies in Toronto that can handle the scope and complexities of your project. It isn’t easy to find a reputable company that can safely and reliably update your building within the necessary specifications. Zero Defects is available to provide expert services. We have years of experience and a stellar track record for beautiful, precise outcomes that adhere to budget and timelines.
Despite the above mentioned risks, the majority of historical buildings can be safely restored and enhanced to meet current regulations. Contact Heritage Restoration Experts in Toronto at Zero Defects for sound, safe, and beautiful results for your repairs, additions, or reinforcements. We offer dedicated service and have long-standing experience providing trusted heritage restorations. Contact Zero Defects for a free consultation or to schedule your heritage building restoration or repairs. Contact us today to find out more or Request a Free Estimate.